Tuesday, March 19, 2013

WPPI Recap


I have been dreading this post. Not because I had a terrible time in Vegas but because I can’t  put into words just how amazing the conference was. The people, the photography, the purpose...

A few months ago, Dana, with Dana Cubbage Photography, and I decided to make the trip to Vegas for WPPI. I was so excited but I didn’t really put too much thought into the whole thing. I was going to “wing it” and hope for the best... then I started looking at all the options and became overwhelmed. Luckily, I was in the company of some awesome photographers that made the trip a memorable one.

We left on Sunday at 3:45am EST, after the time change. We drove the 1.5 hour drive to Charlotte and we were off! We arrived in Vegas around 11am PST and as much as I wanted to just go to sleep, we grabbed some Mexican food and off we went.

The walk from our Resort to the Conference Center at the MGM was .7 miles. It was a trek and it was daunting to think we would be making this trek multiple times in 4 days. Side note – I lost 3 lbs ;)

I also met up with Pie from RC Bell Photography. We met through another Marine wife/mutual friend when our husbands were stationed at Camp Lejeune. She is now living in CA and when I saw she was going, I told her we should meet up. I had a blast hanging out with her and we are making our husbands come with us next year!

I also got to meet Danielle from Danielle Coons Photography in PA. It was like finding a long lost best friend. I love her and wish she wasn't so far away!

Other highlights:
-- Ate at the MGM Buffet. The mac-n-cheese was amazing and our server, Taun, was so sweet.
-- I did a workshop with Katelyn James and it was a great opportunity. To see her work with clients and light was one of the most informative things I could have done.
-- I played the slots! The last time I was in Vegas I was 8, so now that I’m a big girl I had to play!
-- Found a super cute DKNY one piece navy bathing suit at the Ross by our resort.
-- I bought so much stuff (mostly books and magazines) that I had to buy another bag to take home!
-- As a tradition, I ate at the Hard Rock CafĂ© and got my hat pin
-- Went to an H&M store for the first time and got some Jamba Juice!
-- Spent hours walking the expo, overwhelmed and amazed at everything there! I found some great new vendors so keep an eye out!!



I’m going to keep it short and simple with each speaker...

-----------------------------------------------

Zach & Jody
We went to see them speak on Sunday. I really didn’t know much about them but their Platform topic seemed the most appealing - How to Avoid What Most Small Businesses Do – Fail

First, how cute are they as a couple?! I die. They were honest and real. They gave me so many ideas for my wedding photography and personal life that I literally wanted to jump up and scream. I didn’t… but I totally wanted too. You will see many of the things they spoke about implemented into my business very soon. You will see a lot of changes (most noticeably, I changed my company name the day I got home!)


-----------------------------------------------


Ok, so I’m 5ft tall and she is like 6ft – totally felt like a little kid in school again. I actually had never heard of her, but again, I liked the title of her Platform class - Building Your Dream Business.

Her focus is in children/family photography so I thought it was a great balance to all the wedding photographers I was going to be seeing. She also gave out free copies of her book – Worth Every Penny - ah-mazing.


-----------------------------------------------



What a funny guy! He made me think outside of the box and challenged me to look at different ways to use a space. His talk – Shadow Me: Complete Wedding Experience – was awesome.

I bought his book, Picture Perfect Practice, and I can’t wait to dive in!


-----------------------------------------------


Sam Sciarrino
Not going to lie, I was so bored. Dana and I both didn’t care for his class.


----------------------------------------------- 



Ok, so I had to be a groupie and go see her. I’ve followed her for a while and I felt like I needed to see what this chick was all about. She is so likable and funny!

Her class - Dear Me, Stop Making the Same Mistakes. Love, The Future Me - was a great personal story type class. She really didn’t get to technical but that is ok. You can only handle so many opinions. I got great notes from her and that’s a start! 


-----------------------------------------------


His class - Weddings: Making Real Money Doing What You Love—Tips, Tricks, and Business Advice for Everyone – was one of my favorites. He is so blunt and to the point – I LOVED IT. He’s been in the industry for 20+ years so I was very appreciative of all he had to say. He had us ask a lot of personal questions about why we are doing photography and how we are going to succeed. Innovate or die.


-----------------------------------------------


I can’t even. Her class was my number 1, must see class. Y’all – her Platform class was by far the most inspiring and incredible class. She is (point blank) amazing. Her class - Contemporary Portrait Posing – was mostly on how to pose and work with women of all shapes, sizes, and ages.

She even had Mindy Gledhill perform and I’m telling you what – at one point, I think, the whole audience was crying. So beautiful and moving.

There are no words to truly describe the emotions and education Ms. Bryce gave us in that 1.5 hour. You had to be there. 


-----------------------------------------------


Brett Florens
My latest love. I hadn't checked out his work but I instantly fell in love with his candidness and South African accent! His fashion-inspired wedding photography is stunning. His talk was personal and informative. He was charming and funny. It was a great session and I am so glad I choose to see him.

His book comes out this summer and I am SO getting it.


-----------------------------------------------

Again, I can't even put into words how great WPPI was, all I know is I am so going back next year!!

-Mary


"like" or email

2 comments:

  1. !!! I feel like we were kids at summer camp and now it's back to 'school' time! Thank you so much for sharing WPPI with me and helping make the whole experience so amazing! I can't wait till next year already :)

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! That is exactly what it feels like! I can't wait to see your beautiful face again and please keep me updated on the wedding plans!!! Oh and London!! ;)

      Delete