Tuesday, April 16, 2013

{marji & stephanie} - columbia, sc couples photographer

Stephanie contacted me back in January about doing a couples session. She started off the email explaining that she is a West Coast native that recently moved to South Carolina and asked if I knew of some great locations(obviously I do ;). Then she went on to ask me a very personal question -- was I comfortable shooting a same-sex couple?

I won’t lie, I didn’t hesitate to say yes.

The issue of marriage equality been flooding the media a lot lately and I have kept mostly silent on a personal and professional level. I was raised in a Southern Baptist, conservative household and I was not ok with “gays” growing up. It wasn’t until a very dear friend of mine told me he was gay in 10th grade that I learned to see past the sexual orientation and to love the person.

Ok, seriously, enough about me. I am so excited to introduce you guys to Marji and Stephanie.
Since reaching out to me in January, Stephanie and I have been talking back and forth. I have learned these things about Stephanie: she has awesome taste in music, she has a pretty sweet sense of humor, we both love Earthfare, and she is real (as in she voiced concerns, fears, and what she didn’t want out of the session).

I met up with them and we weren’t too sure if the shoot was going to happen because of the rain. Thankfully it held off! Marji gave me a big hug right when she got out of the Jeep and it was finally nice to meet Stephanie in person.  They brought their toy Schnauzer, Oz, along for the session and let me tell you – that Oz sure was precious! Plus, as the owner of a "Toto" dog (Cairn Terrier), I loved his name!

They were both super nervous and I hope I eased their nerves. They have gorgeous smiles and I adore the way Marji looked at Stephanie. There’s a certain familiarity and tenderness in the way they hold each other that’s so beautiful to look at, and I truly enjoyed working with them.

Marji & Steph – thank you for reaching out to me to photograph your love. Thank you for putting up with my wacky ways and silliness and I hope you love the photos as much as I do! Good luck next month in NYC!!  Marji – I will keep you in my prayers on your deployment and Stephanie - I am here for you while she is away if you need anything!

Here are my favs! Enjoy!





This is the first time I have posted this:
If you do not have anything nice to say, please keep to yourself. All comments are monitored and I will delete. 

3 comments:

  1. Such a BEAUTIFUL job! These two are precious to me and you did an amazing job capturing their personalities and their crazy "in-love" ness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, their personalities truly come through! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! The photos & subjects are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete